South San Francisco does get rain, especially in the winter months. Excess rain can cause flooding in your home or business. If the flooding causes water damage that isn’t promptly addressed, mold can begin to grow.
What Is Mold?
Mold is a fungus found everywhere, especially growing outdoors. It is an important part of nature, since it breaks down dead leaves, plants, and trees. You can be exposed to mold outside every day without any harmful effects. However, when mold grows indoors, it can create a health hazard.
Mold needs moist or wet conditions to thrive. It can reproduce quickly by releasing spores that travel through the air indoors. Left unattended, mold will continue to reproduce throughout the premises. Anyone living in the home will continue to breathe in the mold spores.
Effects of Mold on Your Health
Mold can impact your health, causing symptoms similar to colds or allergies. Many people experience a stuffy nose, coughing/wheezing, sore throat and burning eyes. Those with sensitive skin can develop a skin rash. Those individuals with asthma, auto-immune disorders or chronic lung issues can have more severe reactions and even lung infections.
How Does Mold Grow Inside South San Francisco Premises?
Basically, mold needs moisture to develop and grow. Conditions or issues that create damp or wet surfaces will produce mold if not properly addressed. Some of these conditions include floods, leaky pipes, and leaks in the roof or windows.
Mold can grow on many types of surfaces, including:
- Ceiling tiles
Once mold is present, it can enter your HVAC system, which will circulate it throughout the home or building.
How to Tell if You Have Mold in South San Francisco
There are certain signs of mold that you can look for, including:
- You see it. That’s an obvious sign; however, if you do see it on your surfaces, that’s usually only the tip of the iceberg. It’s very likely that additional mold is growing behind walls or other hidden areas.
- A musty smell. If there is an ongoing musty odor in your home, you probably have mold.
- You have symptoms. Symptoms related to mold can vary. If you notice one or more of the following, it may be because mold is present. Of course, these symptoms could be caused by other factors, but if you notice them more when you’re in your home or workplace, mold may be the culprit.
- You develop allergies or your existing allergies worsen
- You have chronic nosebleeds
- You have difficulty breathing
- You have frequent or worsening headaches
- You’ve had flooding or water leaks. If your home or workplace isn’t properly and quickly cleaned and completely dried out after water damage, you’ll develop mold. It only takes 72 hours for mold to develop.
What to Do if You Suspect Mold
If you suspect or know you have mold, you should hire a professional to inspect the premises. Bay Area Mold Pros is a locally owned and operated mold inspection company, serving the South San Francisco area, as well as other surrounding cities.
We have the knowledge and tools needed to perform a thorough inspection of the entire building. We will prepare a detailed report that pinpoints exactly where the mold is present.
Focus On Education
Call Rick Today!
When you call, you will speak to the owner.
Available 7AM – 7PM